Unreal Tournament 3

Since I've been almost obsessing over the release of Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3, I thought I'd share my findings while I'm cheating in Oblivion(only recently got the PS3 version) by placing a shoe to hold the left analog stick to walk into a wall while sneaking to raise the level. haha

First being, I haven't found one source saying that there would be a demo for the PS3 before it's release. Upsetting, But I know I'm going to buy it regardless. If I read correctly, there will be a PC demo before release(which i'm keeping an eye out for). I won't say this game is going to be amazing(even though it is) because, we just don't know. I will say, It's EPIC. The people that put out Gears of War for the XBox(and PC this winter). I've been a fan of Unreal Tournament since it was released originally. In fact, I have it installed on my PC even now and was playing last night.

This installment of Unreal Tournament is looking to be a multiplayer gamers delight. But, not only multiplayer as the previous games. There is said to be a nice Single Player addition added that goes beyond just having Deathmatch, CTF, etc.. with bots. I always felt the single player was fine before because of the type of game it was, but I think it'll be a welcomed change to the UT series.

Some very nice features I noticed; Bots will be able to understand a simple set of voice commands. So, those of you with headsets(which will be next to, if not, everyone on an xbox if they're picking up a game like this.) will be able to speak to your bot teammates! I've got a headset for my PC and a bluetooth headset that came with my phone last year that I can use on my PS3. I hope to be getting a 360 in the near future now that microsoft has started useing the 65-nm chips in the consoles(uses less power so less heat produced, coupled with better cooling could finally get rid of the dreaded RRoD).

Another dissapointing thing is that there will be no UnrealED(map editor) with the PS3 version. So, for those that want to create maps and other content, you need to have the PC version for UnrealED. Good news is that the content created on a PC will be usable on the PS3!

Also, the PS3 will have USB mouse and keyboard support for those of you(like me) who are trying to make the PC to Console transition still. There isn't much word on 360 info as of yet aside from it's release date being sometime early 08 instead of a simultaneous launch with the PC and PS3 launch. So far the PS3 and PC versions are said to be expected for a November release, but there is a possibility of a delay since Epic has always had that, you either "want it right or right now" mentality. They haven't disappointed before, so when it is finally released is just fine with me.

Take a look around for yourself, watch some gameplay videos, go download the older demos and try them. If you like what you see in the videos, I promise, you will not be disappointed by this game.

For those curious about the PC requirements, I found this on the UT3 wiki. They are not the final say on specs, so they may go up, or even down by the time it launches

Minimum System Requirements:

  • Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Mac OS X v10.4, or Linux
  • 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
  • 512 Mbytes of System RAM
  • NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
  • 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Recommended System Requirements:

  • 2.4+ GHZ Dual Core Processor
  • 1 GBytes of System RAM
  • NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI x1300+ Video Card
  • 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space
So, be prepared for the next big hit from Epic. This is much faster than Gears of War, trust me.

— Will

No comments: